The Trumbull Rotary Club has sponsored Trumbull Public Schools' PreK-5 Read Aloud Day for many years! Due to COVID-19, TPS could not host in-person readers during the fall of 2020, but Trumbull Rotarians were not deterred: each reader was recorded reading a specially-chosen book for the grade level. This year, all books were written by children's author Josh Funk. Links to the author video and the grade-specific reading videos can be accessed below. Many thanks to the Trumbull Rotary Club for their support of literacy in Trumbull Public Schools!
- Author video by Josh Funk
- PreK reading of Pirasaurs!
- Kindergarten reading of Pirasaurs!
- Grade 1 reading of Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast
- Grade 2 reading of Short and Sweet
- Grade 3 reading of Short and Sweet
- Grade 4 reading of Mission Defrostable
- Grade 5 reading of Lost in the Library: A Story of Patience and Fortitude
Building on the successful "Trumbull Writes!" initiative begun in 2015-16, during the 2017-18 school year the District expanded its focus on writing to include reading as well, with the mission of developing students' capacity to become the best readers they can be, starting in kindergarten and proceeding all the way through twelfth grade.
- Beginning in June 2018, the District coordinated with experts from Teachers College to offer reading institutes focused on the premises of reading workshop for all K-5 classroom teachers, literacy consultants, and principals. Over 120 Trumbull teachers and administrators participated in a four-day K-5 Summer Reading Institute in Trumbull held during July 2018, and 60 attended a four-day K-5 Advanced Summer Reading Institute in Trumbull held during July 2019.
- At the K-5 level, Reading exists as one thread of Balanced Literacy; the other is Writing. Subsequent to the July 2018 Reading Institute, teams of grades K-5 teachers worked to develop reading curricula for implementation during the 2018-19 school year consistent with the new writing curricula discussed under "Trumbull Writes!" These curricula were then updated during the summer of 2019 based upon the pilot year of implementation, and subsequently approved by the Board of Education:
- An information sheet on "Trumbull Reads and Writes!" with additional resources for parents wishing to support their children in literacy was distributed at all September 2018 K-5 Back-to-School Nights.
- Parent Information Sessions related to Reading Workshop were held on November 8, 2018, for grades K-2 parents and November 29, 2018, for grades 3-5 parents. Additional resources for parents wishing to support their children in reading were provided: